Family Sponsorship

Family Sponsorship

family sponsorship

If your family members become permanent residents of Canada, they have the opportunity to reside, study, and work in the country. As long as you are at least 18 years old and meet any of the following criteria for family sponsorship:

  • being a Canadian citizen,
  • being registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act,
  • or being a permanent resident of Canada,

You can sponsor specific relatives to come to Canada.

Am I eligible to act as a sponsor?

To serve as a sponsor for a family member, you must meet certain criteria, including:

  • Having Canadian citizenship or a permanent resident of Canada.
  • Being 18 years of age or older.
  • Having the financial capacity to support the sponsored person for a specified duration.

Who can I sponsor?

You can sponsor the following individuals:

  • Spouses and common-law partners.
  • Dependent children.
  • Parents and grandparents.

There are exceptions to these categories, allowing for the sponsorship of non-immediate family members, like a sister, niece, or uncle, under specific circumstances. For instance, if you lack immediate family members to sponsor or have legally adopted them, and they meet the definition of a dependent child.

What are the income requirements for family sponsorship?

As a sponsor, you will need to sign a Sponsorship Agreement, which entails your commitment to financially support the basic needs of the sponsored person. In certain cases, you may also need to meet or surpass the Low Income Cut-off (LICO) if:

  • You are sponsoring a spouse or partner who has a dependent child, and that dependent child has one or more children of their own.
  • You are sponsoring a dependent child who has one or more dependent children of their own.
  • You are sponsoring a parent or grandparent.

If you reside in Quebec, you must adhere to Quebec’s sponsorship requirements, and your income will be assessed by the Quebec immigration ministry.

What is a family sponsorship undertaking?

By signing a sponsorship undertaking, you assume legal responsibility for the family member you are sponsoring. If they require government social assistance, you will be obliged to repay the funds.

The undertaking remains in effect for a specific period, determined by the family member you are sponsoring. Even if circumstances change (such as the person becoming a Canadian citizen, divorce or separation, or encountering financial difficulties), the undertaking will not be canceled.

The duration of the undertaking varies depending on the family member being sponsored and, for children, their age:

  • Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner: 3 years (excluding Quebec).
  • Dependent child: 10 years or until they reach 25 years of age, whichever comes first.
  • Dependent child aged 22 or older: 3 years.
  • Parent or grandparent: 20 years.
  • Other relative: 10 years.